Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sandlot

If you are reading this post, you must have seen the movie Sandlot! If you haven't rent it! It's about a bunch of neighborhood kids who get together everyday during the summer and play ball on a worn out field. One boy is new to the gang and knows next to nothing About baseball and gets laughed off the field. One of the other boys, who has the makings of a baseball legend, sticks his neck out and helps him out! It takes place in the all-American feel of the 1950's.

Anyway it's a great story, but it is what I hope for with my kids! Finding a love and passion for something, a camaraderie of friends, and being the one who goes against grain for others for someone who does not fit in! Dan and I talk about love for others all of the time, but who knows what they do when we are not around or when they grow up! Or they are in service to others for recognition.

Joslyn, two weeks ago, came home and told me that she received an award that is given out to students who are seen doing good! If you get ten of them, you get a prize from the principal! Well, being that Joss is the kind of kid who likes to follow all of the rules and win awards, she gets very proud when she is honored for something:) I asked her what she did to get the award. She said that there was a girl who was new to the school and so Joslyn decided to show her around and where everything was. I was impressed, not surprised though! I asked if the principal (the one who gave her the award) saw her giving the girl a tour....she said no she told her! I know it sounds like I'm hard on my kids, I'm not really...this is me just talking about it with you:) I told her that I was proud of her for finding the need and filling it!

I do hope that even though she loves helping others and receiving recognition, that the desire to help wins out over the latter:) What similar qualities are you trying to foster in your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment